Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Where the Buffalo Roam......We Found It !!!!

Well the memory card we needed for my camera is no longer made. We wandered into Radio Shack and got the news about the card. But, not to worry, they had this cute little number on sale and we got the greatest new camera for almost nothing. I had no idea you could get such a camera for so little. We got a brand new camera, batteries, memory card and out the door for $102.00. And let me tell you this little jewel is great! It has video and is so user friendly. It's really cool.

We have now spent two days in Yellowstone and Grand Teton. We could travel the world for the rest of our natural life and not have a greater two days! The things we have seen and experienced are miraculous. Like I said before, if any of you have not been here yet, you really need to make this trip. But set aside a lot of time, at least two days, to see the park. There is so much to see, it's really incredible..

We have seen buffalo up close and personal. Once I was taking pics of this guy who was right beside the road. I was taking the pics from the car. I decided it would be safe to get out and get a little different angle and I opened the door and got out. Thankfully I looked over my shoulder because only about 20 feet behind me was his buddy who was looking right at me. Needless to say I got right back in the car!

We have seen elk too. We have one picture that isn't the best, but it's of a huge elk with antlers at least 4 1/2 or 5 feet tall. It was incredible to see. He was moving and I didn't get a real good picture, but you can see it.

We saw a wolf in a meadow. He was moving too fast to get a good picture but it was so exciting to see him. We also saw geese that were beautiful. It was so cool to see all these creatures in the wild and so close to the car. The animals don't seem to be afraid of people at all. In fact we saw buffalo stop traffic by just slowing plodding across the street. After two or three of them got across the street, a little calf went skampering after them! We saw so many buffalo that after a while we didn't even stop to look, just "oh, there's another one"...

We have met and talked to lots of nice people. I don't know if it's this time of year or what, but a big majority of the people we see here are just like us, about our age. We noticed the almost total lack of kids in the park the last two days and I guess it's because school has started and their vacations are over. There weren't many young couples with small children either, just old folks like us!

The most fun was when we got to Old Faithful and some folks told us about the webcam. They have a live webcam mounted on a tree and aiming towards the geyser. People were standing there and then calling someone on their cell phones and waving. I couldn't figure out what the heck people were waving at a tree for! So, when we found out, I called Mom and Wayne called Jim and they were able to see us live at Old Faithful! In fact, Jim even somehow saved the image and emailed it to Wayne and we had it when we got back to our room last night! Oh technology, isn't it wonderful?!!

We have had such a seamless time on this trip so far. We have had good food, good rooms, no real problems. The Boss is really with us on this trip and we are very thankful.

So, today it's Montana. We are headed for the Little Big Horn where Custer bought it. Not sure where we will stop for the night, but I will blog again if we get a signal.

Mom, forgot to tell you, I brought my pillows with me and it's really nice having them! As you know, I love these Sobekawa pillows and can't imagine sleeping without them. In order to insure that we don't forget to take them each day when we move, they have their own canvas bag so when I see the empty bag, I know I have to get the pillows off the bed. Oh, the things we have to do when the memory fades!

I have been trying to download some video I took of the buffalo but it's taking sooooooo long to download. Not sure it will work. I will get some pics now to post. Hope everyone is all well and enjoying our blog.

Note to Anonymous (Kevin?) No, we are not going to get too tired. We are looking forward to our next trip next month, you know that.!!!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

The pics are fun to see. Glad you are not having any major problems.

Lisa