Saturday, September 15, 2007

Wall Drug Store in Wall South Dakota

Howdy Bloggers! Here we are in Wall South Dakota. It's just after 7:00 and we just got back from having dinner in the Cactus Cafe. We both had steak. We have eaten more red meat in the last three days than we usually eat in three months! When you are in this part of the country, it just seems right to eat steak!
Update on Cowboy Wayne: Today at Wall Drug, he purchased a great leather vest and a new leather belt that matches the whole cowboy thing real well. I didn't get a picture, but I'm sure he will wear the outfit tomorrow and I will be sure to get a picture.
Today was a short drive day. We started in Valentine Nebraska and drove only about 160 miles to Wall South Dakota. We will have about 6 hours tomorrow to make it to Sioux Falls, then we pick up Nicole on Monday.
At Wall Drug today, I was introduced to Rick Husted who is the grandson of Ted and Dorothy Husted for whom I worked when I was here. Ted and Dorothy's son Bill also worked in the store and later became a state senator. The man I met today, Rick, is Bill's oldest son. Bill died in 1990 of Lou Gehrig's disease. I told Rick my story, how I worked in the store and what I did, etc. Wayne asked if it were ok to get a picture of Rick and I and I will post the picture tonight. He told me his grandfather, Ted, lived to be 96. He was such a nice man, I'm happy he was blessed to live so long.

It was fun meeting Rick and talking about the 60's at Wall Drug. He showed me where the original coffee shop was, which is the first part of the store I worked in.
He also told me about having to take the tree out that was in the middle of the room. I guess it died and they had to take it out with a crane.

While we were having our steak at the Cactus Cafe tonight, a wedding party came right down the main street in a covered wagon and several decorated buckboards along with some single mounted cowboys. Sorry, no pictures, as I said we were eating and of course I have my priorities!!! But it was a real site to see. You don't see a lot of covered wagons in San Francisco!

We are looking forward to getting to Sioux Falls tomorrow and most importantly to getting Nicole on Monday. We are hoping to encounter no trouble there.

Hope all is well with all of you, I will close now and get to posting the pictures. We have a rather week and unstable connection tonight so not sure how many pictures I will get up but here goes!

Wayne just reminded me to tell you about something really weird we saw on the highway yesterday. We came up on a camoflagued humvee with a machine gun mounted AND loaded on top. You know those strings of bullets, I don't know what they call them, that hang out of the machine gun? Then there was a couple more camoflaged vehicles then there was a very large white square truck looking thing with all kinds of markings on it. In front and back of this vehicle were vehicles with "security" on the sides and 2 very mean looking men in each one. In front of that was another camo humvee, this one didn't have a machine gun, but had instead some kind of rocket thing mounted on the top. Instead of the belt of bullets thing, it had a box like thing mounted near the rocket thing. It was really scary. Two of the highway on ramps were blocked by official vehicles to prevent anyone from coming onto the highway as the "thing" passed. There was also a military helicopter flying right over the top of the main truck carrying whatever it was. We don't know what was in the white box like truck, but whatever it was it must have been REALLY important. Maybe nukes???? Needless to say, we just sailed right on by and didn't even slow down. We didn't want that machine gun or anything else trained on us!!!
Sorry about the lame descriptions, but I'm not a military type and don't know the proper description of everything we saw.
Ok, going to get the pictures up now.
Please be good to each other and love everyone.
Our best to all,
Wayne and Colleen



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Hummer and the high security was the military was transporting some nuclear grade material and they got into BIG trouble for this. It was on the news here a week or so ago. Some high military officials lsot thier job....or actually were tranferred somewhere else.
Todd